Here is a quick list of things I have learned along the way.
When you have finished the actual installation and are ready to begin configuring, try this:
- Create three web applications
- Call the first one Intranet and use port 80, for the content db name, append it so that it looks like Wss_Content_Intranet or something of the likes. Makes it much easier to find in SQL and you know exactly what DB does what.
- Second one, call MySites and again use port 80, also append the db
- Third one, call SSPAdmin, you can use port 80 or whatever port you like, and append the db again.
- Create Site Collection next
- When you do this, select the appropriate web application for sspadmin and mysites since you created them already.
- Create SSP
These three steps will at least get you up and running pretty quick.
Next thing you can do, go inside the SSP admin site and configure the crawl rules and import rules. While you are there, go to personalization links and add a link to your intranet page, this way when folks are in mysites, they can get back to the main portal. Configure usage reports because you are going to want to see who is actually using this beast of a product. I will post about these steps individually as I go on.